navy lines background

Monday, February 15, 2021

Me and My Reflection


When I was a kid 
And I saw the pretty girls getting attention and invitations and boyfriends 
I rode the bus home in silence
Staring out the window at
My own ghostly reflection
Thinking 
It's just you and me, kid.

And thinking 
If I could be pretty enough 
Then I would be loved enough 
And I would be happy.

And thinking
Maybe I could be smart enough 
Or 
Maybe I could be useful enough
Or
Maybe I could be undemanding enough
Then I would be loved enough 
And I would be happy.

And after years of seeing other people fall in love, I thought:
I'm not.

But you 
Love me like crazy and
Laugh at my jokes and
Rave over my cooking and 
Look at me like you're lucky
- Like you're still so unbelievably lucky -
Fifteen years in.

And almost everyone is 
PrettierSmarterUsefullerandLessdemanding

But they're sitting at home with their duds
While I 
Have
You.

My reflection and I were wrong
And lucky
Straight-from-heaven lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment