navy lines background

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

For my friends, at sunset

After a few very busy and trying days, I was driving home and trying to keep my brain awake. The radio was boring and I was all alone and had nothing to listen to and no one to talk to and suddenly I was stuck by the beauty of the sky. My breath caught. 

The colours weren't brilliant - soft orange and purple. The orange was a creamy sorbet, and the purple was the exact shade that too-ripe blackberries leave on your fingers. And, my attention caught by the colours, I noticed a flock of birds flying above them in the gold and blue sky, silhouettes of summer to come. Then, for the first time this year, I saw the sweet spring green of new leaves swaying from a willow tree.

I felt like I'd just been given new eyes.

I'd driven by that willow tree five times today, and I'm sure it had been no less lovely. But I didn't see it until I'd been pulled out of myself by the sunset.

The women I work with are amazing. I know they are lovely. I know they are kind. We work together every day and I see their patience and resilience and thoughtfulness with the kids week after week.

Yesterday I got a flat tire, and they all jumped in to help keep my day running. One used her break time to pick up my kids after school. One stayed late to give a lift home in the rain after a meeting. The others offered to help me get to school in the morning. Another friend picked up my daughter from cheer practice.

Last week our toilet broke, and we couldn't find a plumber who was available this week. One brought her plumber husband over right away to fix it. 

And, like the sunset with springtime glory, my car trouble and broken toilet brought their kindness, their generosity, into sharp focus. 

What a gift you are, my friends. You are lovelier than sunsets, and I am so grateful for all of you. Your beauty lights up the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment