navy lines background

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Connecting (Advent Day 17)

When I was a kid, the most content I ever felt was when we were driving, all seven of us together in the car, and my Mom and Dad were singing.  Sometimes when we drove they chatted with all of us, which was nice; sometimes they argued, which was not so nice; but when they sang - when they sang on the road I felt that sweet combination of freedom and security which is like nothing else in the world. 

Now that I'm an adult, my best feeling is still inspired by the same things - being close to, and being at peace with my loves. Deep in a conversation with my sisters. Snuggled up with my kids when I know their hearts are filled and at rest.  Cooking with Patrick, listening to a podcast and pausing it to talk it over and sparking ideas left and right and just filling right up -

When I know and feel and experience that I'm not alone.

We're made that way. We need connection, 

I love that when God sent us a Saviour, He sent us ... Himself.

He didn't send us a treasure map to decode or a list of heroic tasks to complete (both of which would have been cool, let's be honest). He sent us a person. Our shelter, our joy, our exhilaration, our strength ... it's all found in His presence.

May your Christmas be filled with those best moments, those holy and true and joyful moments when you connect with those you love - and with the One who loves you best.
xo.

2 comments: