navy lines background

Monday, April 12, 2021

Are We Poor?

Little Miss V was having a hard time today. (Very long story very short, our contractor left our job half done so we're living in limbo and chaos with living room, dining room, kitchen, and office all condensed into one cupboardless very crowded space.)  
"I hate things being ugly," she moaned, "can we make it prettier?"
I have been feeling the exact same way for months. It's no small part of why I've been so discouraged - looking at ugliness drags at the soul.
So I asked her to sketch some ideas for beautifying and we got to work. We pulled up the dead plant in our tiny front yard and put two deck chairs out there to make a little sitting area instead. Then we cleared off the side steps and decided to paint them - but it was calling for rain, so we just painted the big top step, which would be sheltered under the porch roof.
Then we swept and tidied the back deck, unstacked the chairs, and washed the winter grime off the table.

While we were painting, V asked why we didn't just hire someone else to do the unfinished work.
"We will," I told her, "we're saving up again." She pondered this for a minute, then, "Are we poor?" she asked me.

The kids have asked me that before. (Usually when I'm impervious to the gimmes and cries of but-my-friends-do.)  I told her what I always tell her.

"No. We have everything we need, and a lot of what we want."

There is a lot of discussion lately about essentials and non essentials. Workers and supplies. Jobs and shutdowns. 

It's not easy.
I'm lonely. We're all lonely. 
And struggling. 

But there are late night phone calls and starlit walks and prayer requests in my inbox.
There's grocery pickup and counseling on the phone. 
There's a patch of forest in our backyard, and wild geese in the river.
There's sidewalk chalk and a trampoline, books galore and Netflix.
There's love and sex and laughter and the quiet grey of dawn.
There's a grab-and-go pork schnitzel & chutney sandwich right up town that is out of this world.

But. Like V and me looking around our unfinished house, it's so much easier to see what's missing than to enjoy what's there.

We don't have hugs or grandparents, date night or church gatherings or a packed arena cheering on our hometown teams. We don't see strangers' smiles or have cousins' hands to hold. We don't get to grieve together or rejoice together or travel and stand around in our friends' kitchens with our shoes off, singing.

But God grant that we will.
And until all this mess is broken, fixed, healed, repaired, put right, we can just try to make things a little better right where we are.

We have everything we need. 
And a lot of what we want.

Hold tight, friends. 
Pray with me.
Xo.

1 comment:

  1. I love the paint, Vava. Keep making things pretty. You're good at it <3

    ReplyDelete