navy lines background

Monday, April 19, 2021

My Sam

There's a man who lives in our neighbourhood, and when he sees us outside he often wanders over to our place for a chat. He's definitely had some hard times in his life and doesn't always make a lot of sense. He talks close to your face and swears about the government a lot, so he's a bit scary for the kids, even though he's never done anything harmful or threatening to us.

Usually he finds me when I'm on my way home from dropping the kids at school, but today he came over when they were playing in the driveway.  I was in the porch getting my shoes on when I heard him ask Sam if he was babysitting.

I stepped outside quickly, and there was Sam standing in front of the kids with his arms out. "Don't come so close," he was saying, but politely, trying to shoo the kids away behind him, "social distancing please."

My heart.

I had my mask on, so I stopped and talked with the man while the littles ran out back, and Sam wedged himself into my arms, determined not to let anything bad happen if he could help it.

I held Sam close and the man explained he thought Sam was a teenager who must be babysitting and he wanted to tell him to look after the kids well.

And I smiled and thanked him but all the time my heart was singing because Sam already was.

He already was.
He was making a barrier, protecting his siblings and he was using his voice. This boy, who hates being noticed and doesn't often speak up, was speaking up. He was confronting a grown up he didn't trust. He was being smart and brave and bold.

I'm so so so proud of him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment