navy lines background

Monday, December 11, 2023

Some of my Christmas Playlist

I love Nsync's version of this carol. Especially the line "the weary world rejoices." I once worked with a man who found God in washing dishes, because he spent his days making dirty things clean. "I get to be just like Jesus." The weary world rejoicing in Jesus is my favourite. Who isn't weary? Who doesn't want to rejoice?

This strange song got stuck in my heart the first time I heard it. The rhythm, the slow rise, the elegant fall in such a heartachey minor key - the singable oooohs - and the mysterious lyrics? I was following the pack / all swaddled in their coats / with scarves of red tied around their throats / and I'd turn round and there you'd go / and Michael you would fall / and turn the white snow red as strawberries in the summertime. According to Rolling Stone, it was written by Robin Pecknold about his experience of being left behind in Middle School. It's not a Christmas song but it mentions snow so I guess it's Christmassy enough for Pentatonix ... and me lol :)

I wish this song by Boney M got as much air time as Wham's Last Christmas (arguably the worst Christmas song ever ... right?). It's so danceable and fun. (They also do the irresistible Rivers of Babylon and Ra-Ra-Rasputin.)

This entire album makes me happy. I don't remember a Christmas without it. I love Kenny and Dolly.

And I love this carol mashup by Hound + Fox. It's a pretty good antidote to the gimmes - remembering that Jesus came to us by plunging straight into poverty, sharing our sorrows and hunger. He won't let me celebrate Christmas without giving to the hungry. He remembers what that feels like. (Oh, thank God. He remembers what it feels like to be us.) 

Merry Christmas, friends.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment