navy lines background

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Welcome to the Party

I went to a Christmas show tonight. Our town boasts a very fantastic little theatre, and an enormously talented singer-songwriter.

"I've been doing this forever. Like - forever. Since I was two," she laughed, making fun of herself, gently, for being old (she's not old), "and for the last five years I've been doing it right here. Welcome to the party."

And that last little four-word phrase is the whole secret to her magnetic personality.  She's a one-woman party, wherever she goes.
"Use your outdoor voices!" she encourages kids when they come to her house for her kids' birthday parties, "be silly! Have fun!"

As a socially awkward, weirdly religious, sensitive and quiet kid, I definitely felt like I belonged on the outside of things. If there was a party, I was standing outside. If I was at the party, I was only there because my sisters were invited. Other kids eagerly jumped into games and taking part; I watched. I remember in junior high, a guy who lived around the corner had a party when his parents weren't home. I walked by, and saw kids on the deck, kids in the garage, kids inside.

I kicked stones all the way home.

I saw lots of parties, but I never felt like I belonged in one. I couldn't even imagine how I ever would. I felt a strong connection to the prodigal son's sulky older brother - lurking outside, waiting to be noticed and coaxed into joining.

Watching my friend welcome everyone to the perpetual party that she is, my heart stirred. 

Jesus welcomes everyone to the party that he is. He puts his best clothes on his beloveds, and gives us his best food and gifts. He even comes outside and invites those who don't feel like they belong. 

And maybe you love being at parties. Maybe you love joining in freely and gladly, pulling up a chair and bringing your favourite jokes out to play. "Welcome to the party," he says.

Or maybe you don't know how to join in or be part of the crew. Maybe you feel like you don't belong, awkward, possibly unwanted. Maybe you, like me, stand around on the edges in an agony of awkwardness. God sent him out looking for us, standing on the curb kicking stones. He comes all the way outside and looks right into your face. "Welcome to the party," he says.

He came for us all.
Merry Christmas, friends.
Xo.

The kingdom of heaven is a like a king who prepared a feast for his son (my paraphrase) ... Matthew chapter 22 verse 2

No comments:

Post a Comment