navy lines background

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Three Little Pigs


Kachi loves the story of the three little pigs, and every variation of it.

He has a copy of the classic story that Nanny gave him, a spin-off big wolf tale (Mr. Wolf's Pancakes by Jan Fearnley - hilarious), and Patrick tells him a Sam-Vava-Kachi version.

So he was pretty pumped to find yet another reworking on Netflix.  I was puttering nearby while he watched it, and was startled when the narrator summed up the moral of the tale: if something is hard and takes more time to do, it's worth it in the end.

And I found myself realizing that I'd spent thirty-four years misunderstanding the story, because I always thought that it was telling me: if you need help, run to your siblings.

And maybe that says more about my amazing sisters and brother than the story of the three little pigs.

I run to their houses all the time. 

Car breaks down? I call my brother.
Have to have an uncomfortable conversation I don't want to have? I call a sister and ask for tips and maybe a practice run first.
Need advice on my kids? Sibling.
Argument with Patrick? Sibling.
Need a place to live? Sibling.
Scared? Sibling.
Feeling stupid? Sibling.
Need to laugh at myself?  Sibling.
Need someone to pray with me? For me? Sibling.

I am definitely Piggie Straw, over and over again. I run squealing and out of breath to their sturdy welcome and they keep me safe and turn my troubles into hot comforting soup.

Dear sisters, dear brother: I love you like crazy. Thank you for being my brick neighbours always, no matter how far apart we are.

Xox.

No comments:

Post a Comment