navy lines background

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Thriving

I wrote this piece and performed it at a spoken word event last fall. Bringing it out again because I need the reminder these days.

Xo.



I’ve never 

Been very good at thriving.

A month after I was born, the doctor sent me back to the hospital, because

While other babies squalled for milk

All I wanted to do was sleep.

He told my mother to hold on, and 

They cared for me with bottle after bottle after bottle

Until, inevitably, I grew.


I was four years old

The first time I thought about suicide.

(Of course

I didn’t know its name and so
I didn’t really think about it so much as ached for it, 

Longed to disappear fierce and sudden like a lightning bolt.)


I spent most of my childhood

Living in other worlds

With so much more than just my nose stuck in a book

Sometimes I would surface from the pages and take a moment to remember where I was.

Coming back to my own life was

Almost always a disappointment.


I particularly loved The legend of Tam Lin, who is captured by fairy folk, and how his brave beloved Janet rescues him.

At midnight one All Hallows Eve, she waits by the crossroads where the goblins and witches will pass on their way to sacrifice Tam Lin to the spirit world.

The night is dark and she hides in her hooded cloak while the dreadful procession approaches. Her heart pounds and her knees quake but she leaps up and wraps her arms around Tam Lin and defies them to make her let go.

The wicked Fairy Queen casts spell after spell on Tam Lin, turning him into a biting swan, a fierce lion, a pillar of fire. 

But 

Janet holds on 

Through the biting, the roaring, the burning, until the magic tricks are spent, and the evil ones shriek with rage as they slink away without Tam Lin.


I used to read that with a shiver and a thrill, longing to be like Janet

But missing the metaphor entirely.


When I was thirteen I 

Met Jesus and

Had a Very Hard Time with the concept of Heaven.

Not that I disbelieved it - 

No, I believed it

A lot.

I wanted to go there more than I wanted to meet my friends at the mall

More than I wanted to find my place in the world and

More than I wanted to face a barrage of days and

More than I wanted to endure

The sheer difficulty of existing

Here.

Very hard time 

With the concept of Heaven.


Recently a friend asked me about perseverance 

And I found myself telling her the Legend of Tam Lin and 

The importance of holding on

When life feels like a biting

A roaring,

A burning.

And it gave her hope.


The irony was not lost on me.


And when I was mulling it over with Jesus 

He said

Look at your life.

And I looked.

And it was good. And I started to weep, because it has always been So Good.


All this time, it has been so good, and yet

It has felt like a monster, a curse.

A biting, a burning, a roaring thing.

My life has been Tam Lin

And Jesus has been my Janet.

I have not 

Been holding on at all

I have not

Been holding on at all

I have not 

Been holding on at all

(I have never been very good at thriving)

But I have been held.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Janelle, this is so beautiful, and so very encouraging. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you getting involved in bitcoin cash issues in the Binance exchange account ? Whenever you are in doubt, connect with the Binance Customer Service Number team who is ready to assist you so that you can handle all type of worries in nick of time. Feel free to call on Binance customer service number which is always functional and the best platform where users can rectify all their queries immediately under the superlative guidance of the team members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you up for remedies and easy to execute ways to create Blockchain account hassle-free? The sign up process is easy but sometimes take unlimited errors which disturb users. Well, you don’t have to worry at all under our assistance as the team is always ready to provide the best guidance. Connect with the team via calling on Blockchain customer service number which is always functional and provides you the right platform where all Blockchain Customer Support NUmber queries related to Blockchain will be treated with assistance and eliminated from the roots in no time. Reach them to nullify all your troubles quickly.

    ReplyDelete