navy lines background

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Me & My Hallway

I turned our ugly construction-junk-filled hallway into a coatroom today.
I wish I'd taken a Before shot, but here is the After. (If you peek at my September post, you can see a little of it there!)


Um 
...Big deal, right? Why is this worth a post? Making a room more useful is kind of an ordinary thing, J.

Except for me, it's not. After a super hard year and a reno gone wrong, I'd lost all motivation to do anything for my house. Keeping it clean and running to provide for the constant needs of four busy kids was super hard without a kitchen or even a sink for most of the year. So when I looked at my hallway filled with construction junk, I didn't see the possibilities it held. All I saw was the mess.

And that's how I felt about me, too. Deeply. For a really long time.

Well, back in the spring I reached out for help.

I called a counsellor.
I told her how I was feeling.
Worse than worthless.
A burden on my people.
Hopeless.
Like every day was going to be harder than the next.
Like there was nothing good to come.
Like I should apologize to everyone who had to bear the burden of looking at me, interacting with me.

The only reason I didn't drive into the front of a truck is that it would have hurt the trucker.

Feeling that low. So low.

She asked me if I could tell her approximately how many days out of the past 2 weeks I felt like that.

12 (13?)

We talked for an hour. 
Mostly me.
Apologetically, excusingly, embarrassedly me.
She promised me she would call me back the next day and set up a schedule of appointments.

She reminded me to feel my feelings, to make sure I got enough sleep, and to take 10 minutes outside, walking. She encouraged me to build in a little deliberate joy - do something that made me happy - and didn't hang up until I planned it (downloading a funny podcast to listen to on my walk).
And she asked me to call my doctor to discuss antidepressants.

I took a big gulp at that.
One of my constant shames and discouragements was my weight. And I knew people gain weight on antidepressants.  So although I'd been fighting this feeling since a miscarriage in 2009, I hadn't ever been brave enough to consider it.

It's not bad enough for that, is it? I wondered.

But yeah. It was.

So I started taking antidepressants.
Within a month, my bad days had gone from 12/14 to 3/14. 

And it's been almost six months now. And yup, I've gained weight. But you know what? I don't care anymore. My fixation with that was a symptom of my depression. 

And I had a seismic shift in perspective. 

If I don't like something, I can do something about it.
What?!
If I don't like something, I can do something about it.

That's the bliss of adulthood.
When you're a kid, you don't get to make a lot of decisions about your own life, but the bliss of adulthood is agency.

If I don't like something in my life, I can do something about it.

And maybe you're like ... Um, of course. What's the big deal?
But the big deal is this:
Depression lies. It told me I was stuck and any action I could take would just be worse and everything was awful and my only choice was between awful and horrible.

But I have agency.
If I don't like something, I can change it.

This week, I saw my hallway - I really saw it. And I didn't like it.
So I changed it.

And I feel super vulnerable and weird sharing all this but I just thought - maybe someone else is afraid to reach out for help. Maybe you don't think your feelings are heavy enough or maybe you're scared of what treatment will be like.

So I wanted to share that if my painfully-long-depressed brain was able to heal enough to find joy and hope and rearrange a hallway that held unused construction junk for a year, then yours can too.

Make that call.
Reach out for help. 
You're truly worth it.
And if you need someone to talk to about it, I'm here. 

Xo.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Janelle. I have been battling depression for quite some time. I'm so glad that you have shared this and I'm so proud of you for taking care of you. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Janelle💕. I know some of this..actually, a lot of this😞. Glad to hear you’re feeling better..you are such an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful you reached out and also that you shared. So many people suffer in silence. I know I did! We go on every day putting a smile on our face and pretending everything is ok, but it is so far from the truth. .

    I had the exact same thoughts as you about driving in front of a truck. Them I started taking the internal anger out on myself. Nobody would ever know.

    Im very thankful for medication and counselling and very supportive family and friends. It’s too bad it took me so many years to get the courage to get help.

    Love you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete