navy lines background

Thursday, June 2, 2022

for Patrick, Happy Anniversary my love!

An Ode to Your Body



I love your body

Because of those delicious broad shoulders

And my favourite dents

And those long arms that wrap me so close.

The way you laugh, so kindly, when I talk too much

I love the way your eyes seem full of light

And the way they close so quickly into sleep.


But mostly what I love

Is the fact that your body

Keeps going and going

In love for me, for these kids.

To work, of course, and back again

Over and over no matter what you feel like,

To the store, the playground, the beach,

And out of bed and down the stairs when I've forgotten my puffer.

I love those hands that give so generously,

Those legs that welcome my icy toes,

The crinkle lines that capture your laughter 

The grey hair that is just starting to show up, to keep mine company.

The muscles that lift and carry

Boxes of parts and miles of hose

The heart that bears the burden of management

The hands that type succinct, efficient emails

The arms that clear snow and ice off windshields in the dark all winter long.

I love your hands that make our coffee and pick up pizza and pick up a million pairs of abandoned socks off the floor.


I have witnessed your body 

Carrying your laughter and quiet words and kindness

In and out of days for sixteen years

And I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment