navy lines background

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Fall is for smellers

 
Tacky Dollarama decor is up and the scent of cinnamon-soaked pine cones is wafting across my house.
 
The other day I popped into the dollar store for something, and smelled those pine cones. That smell always makes me feel festive, happy, anticipatory. I didn't buy them, but it sent a wave of gladness into my heart.
 
Today it rained and I had a blah day, a grey day, a generally unhappy day. When my artsy daughter asked to go to the store for more paint, I didn't feel like saying yes. But I did - and when I walked in, that cinnamon smell welcomed me back. I try very hard not to buy unnecessary stuff, so I walked past the pine cones ... but the sadness that had been sitting on my heart all day had lifted a bit when I smelled them - it had - and so I detoured back and grabbed them. And they were nestled in between some Halloween decorations and Thanksgiving tat, so I snagged some of that too - a ceramic pumpkin, and a vaguely seasonal sign - which also begged to come home with me. I left one behind, and I may yet go back and get it. 

And I've been working and puttering around the house and whenever I smell that cinnamony smell, a little part of me smiles. 
 
It's not full-on Christmas, but just a whiff of something to come 
Like the last line of your favourite song when you turn on the radio, 
A quick kiss goodbye in the morning, 
A dream of someone long gone -
Something full of goodness and a little bit of longing. 
 
Autummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment