navy lines background

Sunday, October 22, 2023

For freedom

A gazillion years ago (or probably 16), our friend Dan recommended a series of books to Patrick. He started reading them, then I joined in halfway through the second book, and together we read through the series of thirteen books.

Recently it's been made into a show, and we've been watching the second season.

In the episode we watched tonight, several characters had some enormous realizations about themselves - about who they are. One tempest-tossed character had no memories of himself, of his actions, and walked in fear of what his inner qualities might be. Does he land on the side of good or ill? Is he a bad guy, or a good guy?  And, not knowing, he is scared to act and possibly wreak evil on the world.

And in tonight's episode, when his memory is restored, he realizes he has all along been good, and he is flooded with joy and purpose. He runs. He fights. He rescues.

It reminded me of that scene in Moana, where Moana and Te Ka realize that Te Ka is not actually a monster of fire and lava, but a creature flowing with life - only, her heart had been stolen and left her aching and raging. She isn't Te Ka at all, but Te Fiti. She needed to be restored to her true self.

I grew up believing worm theology - that I was bad and evil and full of rottenness, and I needed Jesus to give me His value so that I would be valued. But I now believe that was wrong.

I read a different story in the Scriptures.

We were created good. We were created with value. We were created to create and speak and sing and laugh and tell stories and listen. 

Sin steals our true hearts. It hides our memories and makes us afraid. It leaves us tempest-tossed and purposeless.

But Jesus came to restore all things. To restore. To redeem, to set right, to set free, to remind us of who we were created to be, and who we were created to be with. To replace hearts of stone with hearts of flesh - warm and caring and beautifully human. Whole.

So writer, write.
Singer, sing.
Worshiper, worship.
Listener, listen.
Caregiver, care.

He has set us free for freedom. 
Go, walk in it.
Xo.

2 comments:

  1. what if it is that we are born deeply loved but still not good (in our human nature) … that love can lead us to repentance. There’s no need for Jesus without repentance. In fact it would be a waste of time to yield to Jesus and the Christian faith when other less offensive faiths exist that say we are all gonna end up somewhere based on karma. I guess I would be curious if you think we are born good, why there is need for Jesus. Why a faith that requires following and dying to self and the human nature, of self discipline, of greater love being about laying down for others then matters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is an interesting question with a twist that I would like to address, but due to past problems I prefer not to respond to anonymous questions. I am blogging with my real face and real heart, and so I have a policy of only answering questions that are offered in the same manner.

    ReplyDelete