navy lines background

Monday, March 25, 2024

Teleportation

Along with everyone else on the planet,
I was walking through the ridiculousness
Of Costco on a Sunday afternoon
When I was abruptly and wholly transported
To a crowded, cement-floored dining hall
In the northwesternmost tip 
Of Zambia.

I blinked, and it was Costco again
But that underlay of magic remained.

"Wait!" I called to my daughter, who was walking ahead, "there's something -"
And I followed my nose like a foxhound
Like a cartoon human chasing a stream through the air
Around a corner and down the aisle
Until I realized that the pink and yellow fragrance I was inhaling 
Was the scent of ripe guavas.

I had never had a guava until I lived there
And their fresh, seedy sweetness will forever invoke Sakeji for me.

3 comments:

  1. Janelle your way with words put me in Costco… I watched you! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guavas…. How nice! I hope you bought some 😊❤️

    ReplyDelete