navy lines background

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

On Monday after school Kachi was walking home and said his heart was pounding. I thought it was a bit of an exaggeration from the walk home on a warm day, but I got him a drink and told him to rest on the couch.
He didn't move the rest of the evening, but when I hugged him before sending him upstairs to bed, his heart was rocketing out of his chest. 
We ran out the door to emerge.
His pulse was 240.

They tried to slow his heart with manoeuvres and meds, and it didn't work.
Then they asked me for permission to stop his heart and restart it. (It didn't hit me until later how terrible and wonderful this question was. Such a gift.)

So they did, and immediately his pulse flatlined, then came back on around 130, which is still high but much less awful.

(Can I just say how grateful I am for competent and knowledgeable doctors and nurses, who jumped into calm and swift action as soon as we arrived.)

They did blood work and tests all night in Emerge, and then sent us to CHEO in the morning. (After a night of no sleep, I was worried about driving into the city in rush hour but we had a very peaceful and pleasant drive. Thank you, fam, for praying!) There, the cardiology team did more tests, including a thorough ultrasound of his heart, where they found that he has extra electrical signals in his heart - and these had gotten stuck, firing in an increasingly rapid loop.  They think it was triggered in response to two viral infections that Kachi is fighting (it's been a sick autumn).

This is a congenital heart condition called Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, which we didn't realize Kachi has.

I've always called Kachi my sunshine boy, and my little bright heart, because he has always been a kind and loving and joyful lamb. 

On Tuesday, watching the ultrasound screen spark and flare in wild and wonderful ways, I realized it was literal. When they talk about the electrical pulses firing, they're fire-ing - there's an actual spark. I hadn't known that before. Like, I know there's a spark plug in the car, and I know there's an actual spark when the car starts. But I didn't know that the electrical signal in the heart also sparks.

The first pulse we looked at sparked steady and orange, a little blast of light with each beat.
Then they found the abnormality, the atypical pathway that was discovered by Wolff, Parkinson, and White, and it was sparking and flaring like a sparkler; blue and red and orange and white.

Like a lightning storm viewed from space, it burst irregularities and brilliance all over the place. It just made me stand in awe. Kachi's heart is even brighter and more beautiful than I knew.

Today we were so grateful to wake up at home and have the day off together to rest and reset. We sat down to play Ransom Notes this afternoon and the first two words Kachi pulled out of the box? 
My heart.
It just felt like a little gift from God - he saw, he knew, he held us through. This wild and wonderful heart is his, and I am so privileged to watch it grow.


sleepy, precious, and HERE! so thankful for my bright-hearted boy.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful boy with a beautiful heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Janelle and Patrick what a scare and amazing gift of wisdom those professionals had. He sure is sunshine. Like the solar flares which cause the aurora's to dance their rainbow colored beauty. Praise the lord. Hugs to you all. Much love

    ReplyDelete