navy lines background

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Wild Geese that Fly with the Moon on the Wing

Tonight I was walking Eevee and the sky was a delight. Sparkling and flooded with light from a full moon, Orion swathed in a sash of jet smoke, the big dipper scooping up some distant magic.

Wild geese were honking their noisy reunions, wings awhirr as they swooped in to land on the half-melted river. Walking over the bridge, I could see them from above with the moon on the wing, and I felt a little heart leap of understanding just why Maria called it one of her favourite things.

 Just when we had almost reached home, a new sound hit my ears - the silvery trumpet of swans. Eevee and I ran down to the water in hopes of seeing them but they weren't in sight - maybe they had only flown over or maybe they had landed around the bend.

I tried to capture the night with my camera but no luck. It was oxygen just to be out in it, free, with birds coming home at the cusp of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment