navy lines background

Friday, August 17, 2012

fear and loathing in ultrasound land

i hate the ultrasonologist.  is that even what they're called?  the ultrasound guy.  tech.  person. 

i get all queasy and teeth-grindy when i think about my next ultrasound.  and i've been in between ultrasounds for 2 months, because my wiggly little girl won't show anything but her backside to the tech, so they keep scheduling me to come back.  and back.  and back.

which would be okay (i get to peek in at her again! yay!), except the guy who wields the wand tries to force her to turn over by repeatedly pounding on my belly.  literally pounding.  every time i leave, my lips are bruised from me biting them and trying not to cry.  and my big belly full of baby is aching from the beating, and within two days i have bruises.

i feel a little bit like agnes macphail in the heritage minute ...



so, a few weeks ago i had an afternoon of torture appointment, and vava was turned away from the sadist ultrasound guy.  (note: i asked if there was anything i could do to prompt her to move, like jumping jacks or lying in a different position.  he said no, and kept beating on me with the wand for ten minutes before giving up.)  i called my midwives to have them reschedule me, and never heard back with an appointment time.  and it was such a relief not to have a beating on my calendar that i didn't follow up.  (momfail.  i know.)

today i finally screwed up enough courage to call and find out what happened to my appointment ... and they were closed til monday.

i can't decide if that's a relief or more stressful ... i just want to never see this guy again.

6 comments:

  1. Sucky. After my crappy one I email Steph Arsenault and told her I wished she still lived here and she could do my ultrasound. It sucks that such a potentially cool time is wrecked by techs with belly rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's horrible that people in the medical profession can be so harsh - don't they realize how vulnerable and unsure of ourselves we are already? they're the ones with the degrees and machines and power - you'd think it would make them kinder and more understanding.

      Delete
  2. Oh that's horrible Janelle... it should be such a fun experience getting a peak at your little girl! Is there no one else or no where else you can go? There's only the one guy? YOur visit should *not* leave bruises! agh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks janna! i was happy to learn that this type of treatment isn't normal, and i'm going to a different clinic this week - whew :).

      Delete
  3. I had a horrible ultrasound experience too! The woman doing it never looked at me, didn't talk to me or anything for basically the whole time I was there. I asked her if something was wrong and she said, "I am not allowed to say anything - that's your doctors business.' I basically cried the whole way home assuming something terrible was going on with Noah. I am never going back to that location!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. augh, what a mean old thing! :( it could be such a perfect moment - so exciting and joyful - happiness stealers >:(.

      Delete