navy lines background

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Advent Day 5

My kids have been sick all week.

This means my days have been pretty packed with not going anywhere and not doing anything but replenishing stale cups and washing a whole lotta laundry.
I needed a few minutes of fresh air and space, so I stepped outside before suppertime and stripped off our (old, dusty and disgustingly dead-buggy) everyday string lights from around the door, and hung a gleaming string of fat Christmas bulbs in their place.  And since I wasn't yet ready to stop, I pulled the lanterns off the patio umbrella and brought them inside to string in the living room.

no dead bugs on these babies!

I can't quite get enough of gentle light.

The other day Patrick and I were lying in bed. We sleep in the attic, and the switch for our overhead light is at the bottom of the attic stairs. On his way up to see us, Kachi flicked the switch and we both squawked and squeezed our eyes shut and yelled at him to turn it off.  The overhead light glaring right into our eyes was horrible.

I don't want hundred watt bulbs. I don't want bright blue LEDs stabbing me in the eyeballs. But soft, warm light? It brings the cozy like nothing else.


I love cozy. I love thick, soft socks in sturdy snow boots. I love warm mittens against cold, fluffy snow. I love getting into bed and nestling my cold feet against Patrick's warm legs (sorry babe!).

But I think that's why God introduces Himself to us as a baby.
His glory is so bright. So overwhelming. Because when you're not used to it, too much light hurts. To eyes that are unprepared, it's glaring. Blinding.

But he came to us soft. A gentle light in the darkness, to help us see God.

May your Christmas be so truly cozy, friends.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment