navy lines background

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Another Advent Post

December first!  Advent!
Ahhhhhh.
I've waited all year for this.

Gotta tell you though: nothing has changed.
This year, like last, you will find me clinging to the hope and promise of Christmas because I believe that if the gospel matters in anything it matters in everything.  I need this so much. Regularly, I forget about truth and define myself by the fact that I'm still overweight, struggling with my mental health, and trying hard to try hard.  So I need to take this time every year to focus my heart, my mind, my soul, my strength on what matters.

What matters is the glorious gospel of Christ; distilled into the heartbeat gift of the Baby in the Manger: Immanuel, God with us.

He didn't come for me because of my looks or lack thereof. He didn't come for me because I'm eager or hopeful or despondent or depressed. He didn't come for me because I try hard or because I give up, usually both. He didn't even come for me because I need Him need Him need Him (oh God, how I need you!).

No.

He came into the world because that's who He is.

That's who He is.
Immanuel.
God with us.

Oh sing, my soul, and breathe free, breathe deeply of this truth.
Eyes up and off of me, He came to us.
And that's all that really matters.

Merry Christmas, friends.
xo.




1 comment: