navy lines background

Thursday, December 17, 2020

Surely He Taught Us to Love One Another

Today was super busy. Right after dropoff, I went Christmas shopping. Then work started fast and furious at 11 and I didn't stop for anything until my shift ended at 3. I squeezed in a bit more shopping before 330 pickup.
So by the time Pascal and I met on the sidewalk, we were both as worn out as a 4yo at the end of a long day.

Sam joined us after a minute, and he was wiping his eyes. He's not one to cry easily, so my heart lurched. "It's okay mama," he explained before I could ask, "my friend accidentally hit me with the gate in the neck. He didn't mean to," he assured me. And there, along his collarbone, was an ugly red gash. He'd been smoked really hard. I was so proud of him for not blaming his friend, for not reacting in anger, for seeing my worry and meeting it. I kissed the top of his head and he leaned against me. 

When Vava joined us, I collected Scally and Kachi's backpacks and we headed to the van.
Pascal decided he'd had enough. 
"Carry me," he huffed, slumping over onto the frozen grass. 
I stared at him for a minute, trying to figure out if I could juggle both backpacks and Pascal.

And that suddenly grown-up Sam picked up Pascal and carried him for a block, halfway to the van.

He has such a beautiful heart.
This Sam is a gift. 
Born on a snowy March night, placed in our arms with more love and sacrifice and beauty and heartache than we knew - than we could know.
So much like Jesus. Sent with love. Costly. Precious. 

Defending his friends. Father, forgive them. They don't know what they do.
Carrying his brother, bearing our griefs and sorrows. 
Like a brother does.
God-with-us: a gift, placed right into humanity's arms.

Merry Christmas, friends.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment