navy lines background

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

A Little Peace

I got an early Christmas present today. 

The workers finally finished sanding my future kitchen.  A friend is willing to come paint tomorrow. I had a few hours between the workers leaving and my evening shift beginning, and I wanted to shop vac and clean out the space so we can get right to work in the morning. 

But it was the witching hour - that tired, bored, crankish time of day right before supper. It's when my kids all want attention, separately, and don't have a lot of patience or focus.
I left them playing nicely, determined to get as much done as I could until they called for me.

I moved all the equipment and tools to the hallway.
Nobody called.
I vacuumed the window sills and outlets.
Nobody called.
I vacuumed the edges and corners.
Nobody called.
I finished vacuuming the entire floor.
Nobody called.
I went back past the plastic sheeting and into the land of the living. Sam had cleared the table, made himself a snack, and was watching a movie. Kachi and Pascal were playing cars on the stairs. Vava was reading in her room. 

It was the quiet hum of a happy, contented family.

I washed up quickly, and laid down beside Vava. Kachi joined us, then Pascal and Sam. We ended up in a giggly heap and just laid there together while I ordered a quick pizza for supper. 

Sheer gift.

Kachi stayed snuggled up with me the longest, and afterward he made me this.
Peace in the whirlwind, peace. I opened my heart and breathed it in, that little echo of Immanuel.

Wishing you moments of stillness in the busyness, contentment and peace in all the upheaval this Christmas, friends. 

Because Jesus. 
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment