navy lines background

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Kachi's recipe for bacon

 Yesterday morning, Kachi asked if I would take him for a walk. "Just the two of us, mama?" he asked, and I had 20 minutes while the bacon cooked so I said yes.

We had friends over last month, and the bacon took a really long time to cook - longer than I expected. So I've been experimenting with different bacon, different pans, and different times. (It's a rough job, but someone's got to do it.) I popped thick-sliced bacon on a parchment-lined, cheap cookie sheet and set the timer for 20 minutes, setting the oven at 400*F.  With a glass pan, I need closer to 30 minutes. With thin-sliced bacon, 15. But I thought this should be perfect.

We stepped out into the surprisingly bright, very warm morning. Baking hot sunshine poured over everything. "Can you hear that osprey?" Kachi asked. (Ospreys - or is it osprey? - have a surprisingly cheerful, un-predator-like song. It's pretty and full of delight.) We could hear one, and Kachi spotted it perched high in a dead tree at the water's edge.

We'd seen them all week long, while we were in the park for French camp, the parents teaching the babies how to fly. They soared and swooped and sang to each other. 

Flying lessons complete, the adult was teaching the young one how to fish. It would chirp madly, then swoop, then dive - then retreat to the other side of the river, waiting for the smaller one to do the same. We watched the scene for far too long before remembering the bacon and hurrying home, alight with wonder.

We could smell the bacon and hear the timer beeping from the driveway.

I opened the oven door in trepidation, worried we had ruined breakfast - but the bacon was perfect. I scrambled some eggs while Pascal ran outside to catch a glimpse of the birds fishing.

It was delicious.

(I give Kachi's recipe 5/5 stars, definitely recommend.)


1 comment: