navy lines background

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Ode to my Favourite Heart Surgeon

He has been a heart surgeon for years
Carefully slicing into students and
Clearing the calcifying facade of apathy from their veins,
Jumpstarting their imaginations,
Restoring the link from pulse to ink.

He reads aloud like a
Pacemaker, steady and rhythmic,
And says the voice inside his head reads the same way.

His instruments are precise and sharp -
He is both expert and empathic, for
He knows whereof he speaks:
He, too, wrestles ideas down like alligators
And pins them to the page.

At the end of the school year
He scrawls post-operating instructions on every final packet.

WRITE! He wrote on mine,
Or I will hunt you down like a ghost across the misty chasm of time!
WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!

And the doctor's advice
Has stood me in good stead.
My heart beats, and I write.

💓

Thankful for Mr. McKay, who came through heart surgery of his own this week. 
Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment