navy lines background

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Included. Adopted.

I was a very uncomfortable teenager. 

I had frizzy hair and there were no straighteners yet. I was happier lost in books or speaking a secret language with my best friend. Around other people, I laughed too loud and cried too easily and had too many awkward crushes on some truly terrible guys.

After leaving any sort of social function, I would feel bereft and stupid. The whole time I'd been putting my heart out for other people, and they always missed it. Every time I would go with high hopes - this was going to be so much fun! - and then leave feeling hurting and awkward and lonely.

Tonight Patrick and I went to his work Christmas party.


On our way home, we hashed through what made a successful work party.  What helped people to leave with a feeling of belonging, being enjoyed. My favourite staff Christmast party ever began at a glow-in-the-dark mini putt. We were assigned teams and while we played our way through the course, our boss laughed and joked with us all.

I don't remember who won, but I remember feeling comfortable fast. Feeling happy fast. Enjoying belonging, being part of this big togethery group.  After the mini-putt, we went out to eat and our boss gave us all Christmas cards with a gift card inside. It wasn't a wildly fancy party, not a hopping bash, but it was just so good.

I think what left me feeling filled up instead of empty was the automatic inclusion. Being on the list meant I already belonged. I had a place on a team, I was wanted and expected. Included.

And Christmas is the wide-open invitation from God to us all. 

We're all invited. All included.

But when the time arrived that was set by God the Father, God sent his Son, born among us of a woman, born under the conditions of the law so that he might redeem those of us who have been kidnapped by the law. Thus we have been set free to experience our rightful heritage. You can tell for sure that you are now fully adopted as his own children because God sent the Spirit of his Son into our lives crying out, “Papa! Father!” Doesn’t that privilege of intimate conversation with God make it plain that you are not a slave, but a child? And if you are a child, you’re also an heir, with complete access to the inheritance. (Galatians 4:4-7, MSG).

God sent his very own son so that we would know. We're not just welcomed, we're wanted. We're not just wanted, we're adopted.

Heaven will begin with such a glorious party. And we won't just be guests ... we'll be sons and daughters; we'll automatically be included. We'll be home.

 

Merry Christmas, friends.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment