navy lines background

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Little Joys

School has been a busy tempest lately.  More than just the usual pre-Christmas zoo, and it's hard to get my head out of the struggles and notice the joys.

But there have been so many joys.

A little boy putting his hand gently on my shoulder, whispering "I love your hayuh." (hair, in kinderspeak).

A clumsy little chum, who trips over her own feet all day long, spilling an entire box of lego and not minding in the least. "Dees fings happen," she said nonchalantly, picking them up. 

A stormy little man happily singing to himself the song I'd made up about being proud of him.

And today, a little joy that was so amazing I couldn't help but notice.

I have a kindergarten friend in the next room who loves to give me hugs. Goodness knows he didn't listen to me when I was in his class, but now that I'm in the class next door he steals a hug whenever he sees me.

This afternoon he spied me from the hallway. "Miz Bell!" he whispered urgently. My hands were busy with twenty three snowsuits. "I can't hug you right now, buddy," I replied, "but thanks for saying hi!" and when I looked up he wasn't there.

And something didn't sit right. He tends to be a runner, which I'd found out the hard way more than once, and I just had a feeling he'd gone. So I dashed out of the classroom and yes - he was at the end of the hallway, hands already on the door. I knew if I chased him, he'd be gone. So I called out his name and knelt down right where I was. I opened my arms wide when he looked back over his shoulder. "Got a hug?" I called.

He turned toward me and ran. Full-tilt. Zooming back down the hallway like a miniature snowsuit-clad Eric Liddel from Chariots of Fire. I could hear the music play as he streamed toward me, eyes alight.  

It was magical.

He crashed into me at full speed, and wrapped his arms around my neck. I felt the full force of his delight at being seen, at being wanted. "That was a very good hug," I told him, "your hugs make my heart happy." 

"I'll give you another one," he said solemnly. And he did.

A little shot of joy to light up the day.


May your Christmas be lit up with moments of slow-motion movie magic, my friends.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment